We adding support for Solaris x86 and this pushes us to upgrade the from
the old-old version of Postgres we've been using for years.

(The requirement is to have the 64-bit exec and libs)

I looked at the release notes but could not figure out at which point
Postgres gave the option of building the 64-bit binaries.

Notes for  Rel. 8.2  read  "Add support for Solaris x86_64 using the
Solaris compiler"

Is this only about being able to compile on this platform, or actually
build the 64-bit app?

Release notes for 8.4 suggest that it can be the 64-bit build:  "Make
version() return information about whether the server is a 32- or 64-bit
binary"

It may sound stupid, but there's a number of factors here, and we may
not be able to upgrade to the very latest version, hence the question...

One feature that we'll be missing terribly is the client TCL api, if I'm
correct it was dropped back in v 7.4

Did anyone have a good experience with either pgtcl or pgtcl-ng from
pgFoundry?

Which one would you recommend?

We are building on Solaris, Sol-x86 and Linux, if this matters.

Thank you in advance,

Michael.

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential and/or
privileged.  If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this
email in error, (i) you should not read, disclose, or copy it, (ii) please
notify sender of your receipt by reply email and delete this email and all
attachments, (iii) Dassault Systemes does not accept or assume any liability or
responsibility for any use of or reliance on this email.For other languages, go
to http://www.3ds.com/terms/email-disclaimer.