Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> writes:
> That may be the case.  I'm certainly more concerned with a bug in the
> existing code than any new code that we're working on.  The question is-
> is this actually a user-visible bug?  Or do we require that a user
> creating an FK needs SELECT rights on the primary table?  If so, it's
> still a bug, but at that point it's a bug in our documentation where we
> don't mention that SELECT rights are also needed.

Having an FK to another table certainly allows at least an indirect
form of SELECT, because you can determine whether any given key
exists in the PK table by seeing if you're allowed to insert a
referencing row.  I haven't dug in the SQL spec to see if that addresses
the point, but it wouldn't bother me in the least to insist that
both REFERENCES and SELECT privilege are required to create an FK.

In any case, RI_Initial_Check isn't broken, because if it can't do
the SELECTs it just falls back to a slower method.  It's arguable
that the FK triggers themselves are assuming more than they should
about permissions, but I don't think that RI_Initial_Check can be
claimed to be buggy.