On 26/05/10 21:35, Josh Berkus wrote:
On 25/05/10 23:56, Josh Berkus wrote:
Do we get a bit in the visibility map for a page which has aborted
transaction rows on it?

If there's a tuple with an aborted xmin on a page, the bit in the
visibility map is not set. A tuple with aborted xmax doesn't matter.

Then it seems like pages in the visibility map, at least, would not need
to be vacuumed or frozen.  Do pages persist in the visibility map
indefinitely?

In theory, until any tuple on the page is inserted/updated/deleted again. However, we've been operating on the assumption that it's always safe to clear any bit in the visibility map, without affecting correctness. I would not like to give up that assumption, it makes life easier.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas