Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On ons, 2010-05-26 at 11:47 +0100, Mike Fowler wrote:
The XMLEXISTS function works with XQuery expressions and doesn't have
the call signature that your patch implements
Looking at the manuals of Oracle, Derby and DB2 I see how the call signature differs. I also note that Oracle's implementation is XPath only, Derby's is partial XQuery and DB2 appears to be full XQuery.

What do people prefer me to do? I see the options as:

1) Change the call signature to match the standard
2) Change the function name back to xpath_exists

It would be nice to make XMLEXISTS work as in the standard, seeing how
many others are providing the same interface.

Should option one be the more popular there's further choices:

1) Integrate XQuery support to completely match the standard, however this will require the addition of a new library libxquery
2) Leave the XPath as is, inline with Oracle's implementation
3) Hybrid approach. Since XML is a comple time option, add XQuery as another. Conditional completion gives the full XQuery support when available or just the XPath when not

I think providing XPath is enough, at least for now

Agreed. I'll get another patch together in the next day or two.

Regards,

--
Mike Fowler
Registered Linux user: 379787