Dne 9.7.2010 21:33, Robert Haas napsal(a):
2010/7/8 Pavel Baroš<baro...@seznam.cz>:
Description of patch:
1) can create MV, and is created uninitialized with data
   CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW mvname AS SELECT ...

This doesn't seem acceptable.  It should populate it on creation.

Yes, it would be better, in addition, true is, this behavior will be required if is expected to implement incremental MV in the close future.

2) can refresh MV
   ALTER MATERIALIZED VIEW mvname REFRESH

3) MV cannot be modified by DML commands (INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE are not
permitted)

4) index can be created and used with MV

5) pg_dump is repaired, in previous patch dump threw error, now dont, but it is sort of dummy, I want to reach state, where refreshing command will be posed after all COPY statements (when all data are in tables). In this patch
REFRESH command is right behind CREATE MV command.

Hmm... ISTM that you probably need some kind of dependency stuff in
here to make the materialized view get created after the tables it
depends on have been populated with data.  It needs to work with
parallel restore, too.  I'm not sure exactly how the dependency stuff
in pg_dump works, though.

never mind in case MV will be populated on creation.

A subtle point here is that if you dump and restore a database
containing a materialized view, the new database might not be quite
the same as the old one, because the materialized view might have been
out of date before, and when you recreate it, it'll get refreshed.
I'm not sure there's much we can/should do about that, though.

yes, it is interesting, of course, there can be real-life example, where population on creating is needed and is not, and I'm thinking of solution similar to Oracle or DB2. Add some option to creating MV, that enable/disable population on creating:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-0708khatri/

Oracle:
  CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW mvname
  [ BUILD [IMMEDIATE | DEFERRED] ]
  AS SELECT ..

DB2:
  CREATE TABLE mvname
  AS SELECT ...
  [ INITIALLY DEFERRED | IMMEDIATE ]

6) psql works too, new command \dm[S+] was added to the list
\d[S+] [PATTERN] - lists all db objects like tables, view, materialized
view and sequences
  \dm[S+] [PATTERN]  - lists all materialized views

I also noticed I forgot handle options \dp and \dpp, this should be OK in next version of patch.

7) there are some docs too, but I guess it is not enough, at least my
english will need to correct

If we're going to treat materialized views as a separate object type,
you probably need to break out the docs for CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW,
ALTER MATERIALIZED VIEW, and DROP MATERIALIZED VIEW into their own
pages, rather than having then mixed up with corresponding pages for
regular views.

Yeah, that was problem I just solved like that here, but I confess this would be better.

In progress:
- regression tests
- behavior of various ALTER commands, ie SET STATISTIC, CLUSTER ON,
ENABLE/DISABLE RULE, etc.

This isn't right:

rhaas=# create view v as select * from t;
CREATE VIEW
rhaas=# alter view v refresh;
ERROR:  unrecognized alter table type: 41

I know, cases like that will be more than that. Thats why I work on good tests now.

Please add your patch here, so that it will be reviewed during the
about-to-begin CommitFest.

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

OK, but will you help me with that form? Do you think I can fill it like that? I'm not sure about few fields ..

Name:             Snapshot materialized views
CommitFest Topic: [ Miscellaneous | SQL Features ] ???
Patch Status:     Needs review