On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 18:35, Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 17:38 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

Is there an actual common use-case for having these commands available
for *non-psql* interfaces?

There are many interfaces out there and people writing new ones
everyday. We just wrote an interface for Android, for example.

It is arguably *more* important to do this from non-psql interfaces.

There should be one command to "display a list of tables" and it needs
to be easily guessable for those who have forgotten.

The downside is that you are then limited to what can be returned as a
resultset. A "\d table" in psql returns a hell of a lot more than
that. So do we keep two separate formats for this? Or do we remove the
current, useful, output format in favor of a much worse formt just to
support more clients?

One is an interface comamnd (ie. psql specific), the other is a generic command for any interface ... \d doesn't work in perl or tcl or ... so, for those, we're talking about adding a 'short form' (show tables), but if someone wants to use the long form of querying multiple table s(or information_schema), that option is still open to them ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scra...@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scra...@hub.org