On 27/07/10 16:12, Joshua Tolley wrote:
My concern is that in a quorum system, if the quorum number is less than the
total number of replicas, there's no way to know *which* replicas composed the
quorum for any given transaction, so we can't know which servers to fail to if
the master dies.

In fact, it's possible for one standby to sync up to X, then disconnect and reconnect, and have the master count it second time in the quorum. Especially if the master doesn't notice that the standby disconnected, e.g a network problem.

I don't think any of this quorum stuff makes much sense without explicitly registering standbys in the master.

That would also solve the fuzziness with wal_keep_segments - if the master knew what standbys exist, it could keep track of how far each standby has received WAL, and keep just enough WAL for each standby to catch up.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas