On 02/08/10 11:45, Fujii Masao wrote:
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
I don't think any of this quorum stuff makes much sense without explicitly
registering standbys in the master.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea. This requires users to do more
manual operations than ever when setting up the replication; assign
unique name (or ID) to each standby, register them in the master,
specify the names in each recovery.conf (or elsewhere), and remove
the registration from the master when getting rid of the standby.

But this is similar to the way of MySQL replication setup, so some
people (excluding me) may be familiar with it.

That would also solve the fuzziness with wal_keep_segments - if the master
knew what standbys exist, it could keep track of how far each standby has
received WAL, and keep just enough WAL for each standby to catch up.

What if the registered standby stays down for a long time?

Then you risk running out of disk space. Similar to having an archive command that fails for some reason.

That's one reason the registration should not be too automatic - there is serious repercussions if the standby just disappears. If the standby is a synchronous one, the master will stop committing or delay acknowledging commits, depending on the configuration, and the master needs to keep extra WAL around.

Of course, we can still support unregistered standbys, with the current semantics.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas