Tom Lane wrote:
Yeb Havinga <yebhavi...@gmail.com> writes:
A.a_column    B.a_column
     |       /
     v      v
    C.a_column
C inherits from A and B.

Well, if A and B inherited the column from a common ancestor, he can
easily do that.  If not, maybe he should have thought harder before he
started.  I do NOT agree that issuing a rename against C is a sane way
of dealing with this.

Ok, I understand the intuition behind not wanting this kind of update.

The root cause seems to center around multiple inheritance of the same column without a common ancestor. Another way to approach the problem, is to prevent the user to create a setup, i.e. when adding a column to B that already exists in A, or when adding a inheritance relation A-C or B-c, if A and B share column names. He could then get a hint he should add a common ancestor with that column. This preemptively prevents problems with renames and other changes.

/me ducks

regards,
Yeb Havinga