I started taking a look at the internals of the detoast functions and I came
to the conclusion that I didn't have sufficient understanding of what was
going on to make the correct changes, nor sufficient time to gain that
understanding.  Sorry for not getting back sooner.  There are a lot of
different cases for the detoast stuff, and I think I would need a full
understanding of toast functionality.  (for example, I didn't even know
there was lzma compression in postgres until one of the replies to this
thread)

Thanks,
Mike

--