mmonc...@gmail.com (Merlin Moncure) writes:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Chris Browne <cbbro...@acm.org> wrote:
>> mmonc...@gmail.com (Merlin Moncure) writes:

>>> yeah -- perhaps you shouldn't be allowed set things like datestyle in
>>> functions then.  I realize this is a corner (of the universe) case,
>>> but I can't recall any other case of volatility being relaxed on
>>> performance grounds... :-).  Maybe a documentation warning would
>>> suffice?
>>
>> That would cause grief for Slony-I, methinks, and probably other things
>> that behave somewhat similar.
>>
>> The "logtrigger()" function coerces datestyle to ISO, so that when dates
>> get stored, they are stored in a canonical form, irrespective of an
>> individual connection's decisions on datestyle, so we don't have to
>> include datestyle information as part of the replicated data.
>
> hm -- interesting -- couldn't that cause exactly the sort of situation
> though where stability of statement is violated?

It shouldn't...

The data gets stored physically, on disk, in a canonical form.

Why should it be "unstable" to capture data in a canonical form, when
that's what gets stored on disk?
--
(format nil "~...@~s" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
The statistics on  sanity are that one out of  every four Americans is