On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 02:25:50PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Hitoshi Harada <umi.tan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We (Marko, David Fetter and I) discussed on IRC about design of
> > writeable CTEs. It does and will contain not only syntax but also
> > miscellaneous specifications, general rules and restrictions. I hope
> > this will help the patch reviews and stop dangerous design at the
> > early stage. If you find something wrong, or have request, please
> > notify.
> >
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WriteableCTEs
> >
> > We will keep to add details. Any comments are welcome.
>
> There are really two separate features here, and it might be worth
> giving them separate names and separate designs (and separate
> patches).  Allowing the main query to be an insert, update, or delete
> seems easier than allowing the toplevel CTEs to contain those
> constructs, although I might be wrong about that.

Interesting.  I'd kinda seen them as the same thing.

> Under features, what is DCL?

Data Control Language, i.e. GRANT and REVOKE.

> There has been previous talk of allowing WITH (COPY ...) and I am
> personally of the opinion that it would be nice to be able to do
> WITH (EXPLAIN ...).  DDL seems like a poor idea.

It may be, but I can see use cases for partitioning...

> P.S. Call me a prude, but your choice of shorthand for
> insert-update-delete may not be the best.

Then I presume you'll be supporting my idea of using the word "span"
for temporal data types rather than the current idea whose name
appears in academic literature.

Cheers,
David.
--