Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> While testing the recent issue with unknown params in EXECUTE USING, I
> accidentally did this:

>    EXECUTE 'SELECT ''foo'' || $1' USING 'bar' INTO t;

> The mistake I made? I put the USING and INTO clauses in wrong order,
> INTO needs to go first. We should throw an error on that, but it looks
> like the INTO clause is just silently ignored.

This is more interesting than it looks.  It appears that the plpgsql
parser interprets the USING's argument expression as being
        'bar' INTO t
so it generates a plplgsql expression with query
        SELECT 'bar' INTO t
and the only reason that you don't get a failure is that
exec_simple_check_plan fails to notice the intoClause, so it thinks
this represents a "simple expression", which means it evaluates the
'bar' subexpression and ignores the INTO altogether.  That's
certainly a bug in exec_simple_check_plan :-(

I think that accepting this order of the clauses would require some
duplication of code in the stmt_dynexecute production.  It might be
worth doing anyway, because if you made this mistake then certainly
others will.