Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Excerpts from Darren Duncan's message of miƩ sep 08 18:29:35 -0400 2010:

Personally I like the idea of developers not always having to be forced to choose among two equally good names, and making a wrapper function would be overkill for this feature.

While I don't agree with the idea of providing extra names that are
probably mostly going to increase the confusion of someone trying to
understand such a system, I think this use case would be well covered by
synonyms.  But these would be defined by a new SQL command, say CREATE
SYNONYM, not by funny notation on the initial CREATE FUNCTION call.

Yes, and having a more general solution like CREATE SYNONYM is more important to have anyway. My "|" is simply a syntactic shorthand for a special case of CREATE SYNONYM, with respect to schema objects, and would parse into the same thing. I don't feel any need now for me to push this shorthand further. -- Darren Duncan