On 09/14/2010 06:26 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
As a matter of project management, I am inclined to think that until
we've hammered out this issue, there's not a whole lot useful that can
be done on any of the BG worker patches.  So I am wondering if we
should set those to Returned with Feedback or bump them to a future
CommitFest.

I agree in general. I certainly don't want to hold back the commit fest.

What bugs me a bit is that I didn't really get much feedback regarding the *bgworker* portion of code. Especially as that's the part I'm most interested in feedback.

However, I currently don't have any time to work on these patches, so I'm fine with dropping them from the current commit fest.

The good news is that, after a lot of back and forth, I think we've
identified the reason underpinning much of why Markus and I have been
disagreeing about dynshmem and imessages - namely, whether or not it's
possible to allocate shared_buffers as something other than one giant
slab without taking an unacceptable performance hit.

Agreed.

Regards

Markus Wanner