On 21/09/10 16:14, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
I've been having a look at this guy, trying to get a handle on how much down time it will save.

As a quick check, I tried upgrading a cluster with a 1 non default db containing a scale 100 pgbench schema:

- pg_upgrade :         57 s
- pgdump/pg_restore : 154 s

So, a reasonable saving all up - but I guess still a sizable chunk of downtime in the case of a big database to copy the user relation files.

I notice there is a "link" option that would be quicker I guess - would it make sense to have a "move" option too? (perhaps with pg_upgrade writing an "un-move" script to move them back just in case).

Replying to this - looking more carefully at what the --link option does, it is clear that this is in fact covered. Sorry for the (my) confusion. For completeness, with this option the upgrade is substantially faster:

- pg_upgrade (link):   12 s

regards

Mark