On 10/16/2010 09:04 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Tatsuo Ishii<is...@postgresql.org>  wrote:
Does anybody know PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY is more reliable than
previous versions?  I vaguely recall that in the previous
implementation, message sent by NOTIFY may not be reached to listner.
Does PostgreSQL 9.0's new implementation guarantee that the message is
received by the listener?
I think it was always intended to be reliable (otherwise it's not much
good).  I think I remember a bug where notifications were being lost
on Windows under heavy load, but I thought we fixed that...

Here's what the docs say:

   If the same channel name is signaled multiple times from the same
   transaction with identical payload strings, the database server can
   decide to deliver a single notification only. On the other hand,
   notifications with distinct payload strings will always be delivered
   as distinct notifications. Similarly, notifications from different
   transactions will never get folded into one notification. Except for
   dropping later instances of duplicate notifications, NOTIFY
   guarantees that notifications from the same transaction get
   delivered in the order they were sent.

cheers

andrew