> You're assuming that we should set up the default behavior to support
> replication and penalize those who aren't using it.

What's the penalty?  Simon just said that there isn't one.

And there's a difference between saying that I "failed to make a case"
vs. "the cost is too great".  Saying the former is saying that my
argument lacks merit (or content) entirely, rather than saying that it's
not sufficient.  I made a case, the case just didn't persuade you ... yet.

> I entirely agree that it ought to be easier to set up replication.
> But there's a difference between having a big red EASY button for people
> to push, and pushing it for them.

If we have a single boolean GUC called "replication", I would be happy.
 Even if it defaulted to "off".

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.