On 10/28/2010 12:34 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

BTW, maybe we could have the best of both worlds?  Dunno about Perl,
but in some languages it would be possible to instantiate the hash
only if it's actually touched.  Passing the data as a hash definitely
seems to fit with the spirit of things otherwise, so as long as it
didn't cost cycles when not needed, I'd be in favor of that API.

Maybe, but I think that's getting rather beyond my perlguts-fu. I think we'd need to do that via PERL_MAGIC_tied, but it's new territory for me. Anyone else want to chime in?

cheers

andrew