Hi SQL/MED developers,

Our company has just finished development of a database extension for Informix that provides tabular access to various types of structured files (NetCDF and HDF5, with more types to come). We would like to port this logic to run on PostgreSQL, since many of our potential customers use PostgreSQL.

On Informix, we were able to take advantage of the VTI (Virtual Table Interface) feature to support "table" scans and indexing. (See http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/zones/informix/library/techarticle/db_vti.html .) Do you have any idea of how long it will be before SQL/MED on PostgreSQL will be available, and perhaps how similar it will be to Informix VTI?

Thanks,
Eric.

Eric Davies, M.Sc.
Senior Programmer Analyst