On 11/12/2010 02:43 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Markus Wanner  wrote:
>
>> I stand corrected. Do you actually use the TapReporter?
>
> No.  I know so little about TAP that I wasn't aware that dtester
> output was in the TAP format

Well, there are three kinds of reporters: StreamReporter, TapReporter
and CursesReporter. By default, either curser or stream is chosen,
depending on whether or not dtester thinks its stdout is a terminal or not.

To make dtester report in TAP format, you'd need to specify that upon
creation of the Runner:

  runner = dtester.runner.Runner( \
    reporter=dtester.reporter.StreamReporter( \
      sys.stdout, sys.stderr, showTimingInfo=False))

> I can check what that requires.  Perhaps I can cause the detail
> output to not confuse that.  [off to check...]

The CursesReporter moves up and down the lines to write results to
concurrently running tests. It's only useful on a terminal and certainly
gets confused by anything that moves the cursor (which a plain 'print'
certainly does).

The best solution would probably be to allow the reporters to write out
comment lines. (However, due to the ability of running tests
concurrently, these comment lines could only be appended at the end,
without clear visual connection to a specific test. As long as you are
only running on test at a time, that certainly doesn't matter).

Regards

Markus Wanner