On 11/13/2010 06:58 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Alvaro Herrera<alvhe...@alvh.no-ip.org>  writes:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner reported a problem in postmaster via IM to me.  I
thought I had nailed down the bug, but after more careful reading of the
code, turns out I was wrong.

The reported problem is that postmaster shuts itself down with this
error message:

2010-11-12 10:19:05 CET FATAL:  no free slots in PMChildFlags array

Just looking at it, I think that the logic in canAcceptConnections got
broken by somebody in 8.4, and then broken some more in 9.0: in some
cases it will return an "okay to proceed" status without having checked
for TOOMANY children.  Was this system possibly in PM_WAIT_BACKUP or
PM_HOT_STANDBY state?  What version was actually running?

I don't have too many details on the actual setup (working on that) but the box in question is running 8.4.2 and had no issues before the upgrade to 8.4 (ie 8.3 was reported to work fine - so a 8.4+ breakage looks plausible).

Stefan