On 11/23/2010 01:30 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

I'm not really sure why we're even considering the notion of
back-patching this item.  Doing so would not fit with any past practice
or agreed-on project management practices, not even under our lax
standards for contrib (and I keep hearing people claim that contrib
is or should be as trustworthy as core, anyway).  Since when do we
back-patch significant features that have not been through a beta test
cycle?

I see no advantage to back-patching. It's easy to provide a drop-in binary DLL for older versions of Pg on Windows, who're the only people this will work for.

If the EDB folks saw value in it, they could bundle the DLL with updated point releases of the installer for Windows. No back-patching is necessary.

--
Craig Ringer