On 12/14/10 11:07 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Because then you have to take an AccessExclusiveLock on the target
> table, of course.

Well, you have to do that for DROP TABLE as well, and I don't see any
way around doing it for REPLACE WITH.

As for the utility of this command: there is no question that I would
use it.  I'm not sure I like the syntax (I'd prefer REPLACE TABLE ____
WITH _____), but that's painting the bike shed.  While the command may
appear frivolous and unnecessary syntactical ornamentation to some, I
have to say that doing the "table doesy-doe" which this command
addresses is something I have written scripts for on at least 50% of my
professional clients.  It keeps coming up.

In order for REPLACE WITH to be really useful, though, we need a command
cloning at table design with *all* constraints, FKs, keys, and indexes.
 Currently, I still don't think we have that ... do we?

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.