"Marc G. Fournier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>       The initial changes will be to just wrapper all our shared memory
> code, so that I can make use of Apache's libapr libraries *if* they are
> installed ... if not, it will just fall back to "the current code" ...

I think we should redesign the shared memory API (and even more so the
semaphore API), not just put a wrapper layer on it.  A lot of the
internal API is unnecessarily dependent on SysV shmem/sem behavior.

Note however that there are some things you will break if you are not
very careful.  We are depending on shmem/sem behavior to catch a number
of multiple-postmaster conflict situations.  If there's not a more or
less SysV-ish kernel underneath us, those situations will have to be
rethought and some other interlock invented.

In short, I want to see a design review first, not a bunch of
off-the-cuff commits.