Robert Haas wrote:
- MERGE
- checkpoint improvements

As far as these two go, the state of MERGE is still rougher than I would like. The code itself isn't too hard to read, and that the errors that are popping up tend to be caught by assertions (rather than just being mysterious crashes) makes me feel a little better that there's some defensive coding in there. It's still a 3648 line patch that touches grammar, planner, and executor bits though, and I've been doing mainly functional and coding style review so far. I'm afraid here's not too many committers in a good position to actually consume the whole scope of this thing for a commit level review. And the way larger patches tend to work here, I'd be surprised to find it passes through such a review without some as yet unidentified major beef appearing. Will see what we can do to help move this forward more before the CF start.

The checkpoint changes I'm reworking are not really large from a code complexity or size perspective--I estimate around 350 lines of diff, with the rough version I submitted to CF2010-11 at 258. I suspect it will actually be the least complicated patch to consume from that list, from a committer perspective. The complexity there is mainly in the performance testing. I've been gearing up infrastructure the last couple weeks to automate and easily publish all the results I collect there. The main part that hasn't gone through any serious testing yet, auto-tuning the spread interval, will also be really easy to revert if a problem is found there. With Simon and I both reviewing each others work on this already, I hope we can keep this one from clogging the committer critical path you're worried about here.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support        www.2ndQuadrant.us