"David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com> writes:
> The fact that the last two messages in the thread say something else
> does not mean that they represent the consensus.

Yeah, but as I'm the one writing the code, I gave myself more than one
vote. And did consider the alternatives but didn't like them so much.

> Right, I forgot about the relocatable parameter. I kind of expect that most
> extensions *would* be relocatable, though. Maybe it should be expected to be
> true if it's not present? Or perhaps require non-relocatable extensions to
> have a "fixed_schema" control key or something? Either will work, just trying
> to find the likely convention to avoid configuration in most cases. Maybe I'm
> wrong, though, and most extensions wouldn't be relocatable?

Most are, but it's not for granted.  See adminpack.  Or earthdistance
that I had to make not-relocatable for lack of dependency support, as it
depends on cube and ALTER EXTENSION earthdistance SET SCHEMA foo would
have relocated cube too.  We said dependency can wait until v2.

I don't see the benefit of having the 'relocatable' property optional in
the control file, but I see a huge drawback.  Requiring it will force
extension authors to at least have a glance at the docs to understand
how to set it.  It's important not to overlook it.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine