On 28.12.2010 23:51, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  writes:
On 12/28/2010 04:44 PM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
Perhaps abbreviations are to prefer, e.g., myfunc_i, myfunc_i_c, etc
to reduce the need of truncating filenames.
I think that's just horrible. Does the i stand for integer or inet? And
it will get *really* ugly for type names with spaces in them ...
You think spaces are bad, try slashes ;-)

Not to mention the need for including schemas in typenames sometimes.
I think you're going to have a real problem trying to fully describe a
function's signature in a file name of reasonable max length.
something like

funcname_<number-of-arguments>_<hash_of_argument_type_list>.sql

seems like a reasonable compromise - you can find the function you are looking for without too much searching, even when overloaded and the uniqueness is still guaranteed.