Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
> On 01/12/2011 08:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm not actually concerned about adding a few extra cycles to SET ROLE
>> for this.  What bothered me more was the cost of adding another output
>> column to CSV log mode.  That's not something you're going to be able to
>> finesse such that only people who care pay the cost.

> I think it's time to revisit the design of CSV logs again, now we have
> two or three releases worth of experience with it. It needs some
> flexibility and refinement.

It would definitely be nice to support optional columns a little better.
I'm not even sure whether the runtime overhead is worth worrying about
(maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I have no data).  But I do know that
adding a column to the CSV output format spec causes a flag day for
users.  How can we avoid that?