On 01/21/2011 05:24 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

That advice needs to be taken with a grain or two of salt. First, while you
probably should not use Cygwin postgres as a production server, it is still
the best way to run psql on Windows that I know of. And second, the stuff
Yeah, I agree for psql the client tool (though it used to suck badly
if you were in a non-english locale, but they may have fixed that).
But not for PostgreSQL the full product. I guess we could add a
sentence about the client side, but it needs to be clear that the
non-sucky part only applies to the client.

It's not so bad it can't be used for development, and I have known people who do that, and indeed I have deployed one very complex app developed in just that way.

More importantly from my POV, there is no support in the buildfarm for just building the client side, and I have no intention of providing it. So it's not insignificant for us to be able to continue supporting a complete build on Cygwin, however much you dislike it.

about not being able to generate 64-bit binaries with Mingw is no longer
true (that's why it's no longer called Mingw32), although it is true that
nobody I know has yet tried to do so. It's on my long TODO list, and well
worth doing. (Relying on one compiler is the techno equivalent of
monolingualism, which my sister's bumper sticker used to tell me is a
curable condition.)
It's true from the perspective of *postgresql* - you can't use those
compiler to generate 64-bit binaries of PostgreSQL. And it's referring
to "these builds", not the compiler itself.

And I'm certainly not going to stand in the way of somebody adding
build support for it if they (you or others) want to spend time on it
- that patch should just include an update to that documentation
paragraph, of course.

Personally, I'm going to put what time I can put into "windows build
system updates" into making us work with VS 2010 because I find that
more important - but that's just me personally.

VS2010 is important, no doubt. But clearly there's some demand for continued Mingw support, hence the OP's question.

As I've remarked before, I think we should support as many build platforms/environments as we can.

cheers

andrew