On 11.02.2011 22:11, Robert Haas wrote:
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Daniel Farina<drfar...@acm.org>  wrote:
I split this out of the synchronous replication patch for independent
review. I'm dashing out the door, so I haven't put it on the CF yet or
anything, but I just wanted to get it out there...I'll be around in
Not Too Long to finish any other details.

This looks like a useful and separately committable change.

Hmm, so this patch implements a watchdog, where the master disconnects the standby if the heartbeat from the standby stops for more than 'replication_[server]_timeout' seconds. The standby sends the heartbeat every wal_receiver_status_interval seconds.

It would be nice if the master and standby could negotiate those settings. As the patch stands, it's easy to have a pathological configuration where replication_server_timeout < wal_receiver_status_interval, so that the master repeatedly disconnects the standby because it doesn't reply in time. Maybe the standby should report how often it's going to send a heartbeat, and master should wait for that long + some safety margin. Or maybe the master should tell the standby how often it should send the heartbeat?

--
  Heikki Linnakangas