On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Martin Pitt <mp...@debian.org> wrote:
> thanks Markus for CC'ing me, I'm not on -hackers@.
>
> Markus Wanner [2011-02-14 13:37 +0100]:
>> On 02/10/2011 11:34 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=607109
>
> Note that the recent discussions happened on bug 608442, in particular
>
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=608442#30
>
> and the following comments.
>
>> Personally, I'm a bit suspicious about that solution (technically as
>> well as from a licensing perspective), [...]
>
> For the record, so am I (see comment 30 in the link above), as it uses
> the very same ld.so in both cases. However, Andreas Barth pointed out
> that with LD_PRELOAD it's guaranteed that we do not "import" any code
> from the libreadline header files, which guarantees that psql doesn't
> become something that can be considered a "derived work".
>
> Technically, this is a bit fragile, of course, as there might be some
> subtle ABI differences which lead to crashes. However, the preloading
> workaround already makes the situation so much better than before, so
> IMHO it's better than the previous status quo.
>
> I don't really like this situation, and personally I'd rather move
> back to libreadline until OpenSSL or readline or PostgreSQL threatens
> Debian with a legal case for license violation (I daresay that the
> chances of this happening are very close to zero..). But oh well..

I think it would be better to revert to readline and make note
that conversion depends on libedit's readiness for unicode.
I doubt anybody in Debian is that gung-ho to veto current state...

Informing libedit about relevant problem would
be good too.  I don't see any bugs about that in Debian's
bugtracker, did you send them to upstream?

It's not like problems with openssl license is any sort of recent
news.  Solving it with preload hacks feels sleazy, as the
non-preloaded state is unusable for most of the world...

Also, I know admins who have /usr/lib/.../bin in their PATH
to get access to all admin tools.  So the preload hack would
not work for them.

--
marko