On Fri, 24 May 2002 06:10:39 PDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Thomas Lockhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:
> > But anybody using Unix dates as "general dates" has leaped into exactly the
> > same sort of trap that caused people to get so paranoid about Y2K.

> Certainly true. We don't use Unix dates as "general dates", we use the
> Unix time zone database and API for dates and times within the year
> range of 1903 to 2038. Well, up until now anyway...

I don't think going past 1970 is particularly safe; it certainly doesn't
seem to fit with ANSI...

By the way, the seemingly relevant link to look at for TZ info is
http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm, linking to the data used by
various Unix implementations.

> Prior to the 1900s, the concept of time zones was more localized and
> not universally adopted. In the US, a first round of time zone
> standardization came with the transcontinental railroads in the 1860s.
> After 2038, it is a good bet that time zones will resemble those in
> use today, but they are as much a political construct as a physical
> one so the details are subject to change.

Some of the zones are quite peculiar if you head to Africa and Asia;
there are some sitting on 15 minute intervales, rather than the usual 1h
intervals.

(The classic Canadian timezone joke is "World ends at 9:00; 9:30 in
Newfoundland".  For more information, see TZ='America/St_Johns')
--
(concatenate 'string "chris" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html