On 30.03.2011 17:05, Merlin Moncure wrote:
*) Maybe the shared buffer cache currently being maintained over the
clog can be scrapped. I'm going to leave it alone for now, but I'm
quite skeptical it provides much benefit even without local process
cache.  clog page have a very nice property that you don't have to
worry about what else is going on from other processes and thus no
complicated locking or invalidation issues when considering cache
structure.  IMNSHO -- this makes a local cache a much better fit even
if you have to keep it smaller for memory usage reasons.

A related idea I've sometimes pondered is to mmap() the clog in every process.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas