On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:16:45AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> wrote:
> >> I think to really address that problem, you need to think about shorter
> >> release cycles overall, like every 6 months. �Otherwise, the current 12
> >> to 14 month horizon is just too long psychologically.
>
> > I agree.  I am in favor of a shorter release cycle.
>
> I'm not.  I don't think there is any demand among *users* (as opposed to
> developers) for more than one major PG release a year.  It's hard enough
> to get people to migrate that often.

In fact, I predict that the observed behavior would be for even more end
users to start skipping releases. Some already do - it's common not to
upgrade unless there's a feature you really need, but for those who do
stay on the 'current' upgrade path, you'll lose some who can't afford to
spend more than one integration-testing round a year.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reeds...@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166