On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Greg Smith <g...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I use pgstattuple, pageinspect, pg_freespacemap, and pg_buffercache
> regularly enough that I wish they were more common.  Throw in pgrowlocks and
> you've got the whole group Robert put into the debug set.  It makes me sad
> every time I finish a utility using one of these and realize I'll have to
> include the whole "make sure you have the contrib modules installed"
> disclaimer in its documentation again.

Well the lightweight way to achieve what you want is to just move
these functions into core. There's a pretty good argument to be made
for debugging tools being considered an integral part of a base
system. I remember making the same argument when Sun first made the
radical move for a Unix vendor to stop shipping a working C compiler
and debugger as part of the base Solaris packages.

The only argument I see as particularly frightening on that front is
people playing the sekurity card. A naive attacker who obtains access
to the postgres account could do more damage than they might be able
to do without these modules installed. Of course an attacker with
"postgres" can do just about anything but it's not entirely baseless
--  we don't set up the database with modules like plsh installed by
default for example.

The only actual security issue I can think of is that the pageinspect
module would let users look at deleted records more easily. It would
be pretty tricky, but not impossible, to do that without it.

--
greg