On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Of course, there are always idiots who won't learn anything no matter
> how good our process is.  But if the whole submission process is
> perceived to be fair and understandible, those will be a tiny minority.

The thing is, I think things are much better now than they were three
or four years ago. At the time the project had grown much faster than
the existing stable of developers and the rate at which patches were
being submitted was much greater than they could review.

It's not perfect, Tom still spends more of his time reviewing patches
when he would probably enjoy writing fresh code -- and it's a shame if
you think about the possibilities we might be missing out on if he
were let loose. And patches still don't get a detailed HOWTO on what
needs to happen before commit. But it's better.

We need to be careful about looking at the current situation and
deciding it's not perfect so a wholesale change is needed when the
only reason it's not worse is because the current system was adopted.

--
greg