My apologies for wading in out of the blue here as a first time poster with
big demands, but allow me to briefly state my hopes without trying to be too
proscriptive about particular mechanisms.

My hope here is that the extension model should eventually enable me to
offer the ability for non-superuser databases to specify by some mechanism
the extensions that they require in a reproducible fashion, enabling my
users to recreate their local development conditions on a production
cluster.

My particular worry, and I apologize if I have misunderstood the thrust of
this thread, is that "extension version" might not be tied to the "extension
revision", and so I will not be able to determine whether or not all
existing extensions are already at a specific version.

The precision of this process is very important to me. My intended use case
for this feature is to allow users to specify the versions of extensions
that they need in some kind of a control file or in a database migration
script such that they can then install those extensions on various new
systems in a reliable and reproducible way.

David, if you do what you propose, haven't I already lost?

---
Peter van Hardenberg
Heroku