On 08.06.2011 06:37, Kevin Grittner wrote:
You're right; that one was a false alarm.  While REINDEX was reading
the heap to build the index it got an SIREAD lock on a *heap* page.

We never take locks on heap pages directly, so it must've been a promotion from heap tuple locks.

While that could arguably be avoided, even though the heap is being
read in a serializable transaction, I'm not inclined to get really
excited about it.  If someone wants to dodge it, they can always run
the REINDEX in READ COMMITTED or REPEATABLE READ mode.  Maybe 9.2
material if there's nothing to do that matters more than that.

That should be pretty easy to avoid, though. I think we should fix it now.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas