Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> writes:
> Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié jun 15 12:53:59 -0400 2011:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> Hmm, I think this means we need to send a sinval message to invalidate
>>> cached plans when a constraint is validated.  I'll see about this.

>> I feel like that really ought to be happening automatically, as a
>> result of committing the transaction that did the system catalog
>> modification.  It seems pretty strange if it isn't.

> The catalog change takes place in pg_constraint, so I'm not sure that
> it'd cause the sort of event we need.  I'm testing whether adding a call
> to CacheInvalidateRelcache in the appropriate place works.

Currently, only updates in pg_class, pg_attribute, and pg_index cause
automatic relcache invalidations --- see the logic in
PrepareForTupleInvalidation.  If you want to force replanning after an
update elsewhere, you need to call CacheInvalidateRelcache.  I've
occasionally thought about extending the number of cases that get
handled automatically by PrepareForTupleInvalidation, but not gotten off
my duff to change it.  I doubt that we want to make that routine know
about *every* possible case, so it's a matter of tradeoffs ...