I have just tested this on the latest code using the following

    Connection con = JDBC2Tests.openDB();
                try
                {

      // transaction mode
      con.setAutoCommit(false);
      Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
      stmt.execute("select 1/0");
                        fail( "Should not execute this, as a SQLException s/b thrown"
);
      con.commit();
                }
                catch ( Exception ex )
                {
                }
    try
    {
      con.commit();
      con.close();
    }catch ( Exception ex) {}
  }

and it executes as expected. It throws the SQLException and  does not
execute the fail statement

Thanks,

Dave