On 22.06.2011 17:28, Tom Lane wrote:
Dan Ports<d...@csail.mit.edu>  writes:
I was looking at ExecSeqScan today and noticed that it invokes
PredicateLockRelation each time it's called, i.e. for each tuple
returned. Any reason we shouldn't skip that call if
rs_relpredicatelocked is already set, as in the attached patch?

Why is the call in ExecSeqScan at all, and not in the node startup
function?

It makes sense to delay it until the scan is actually started, so that you don't get unnecessary serialization failures if the scan is never actually executed. I don't know if that was Kevin's original reason for putting it there, but that's why I left it there.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas