Excerpts from Heikki Linnakangas's message of vie jun 24 07:01:57 -0400 2011:
> While reviewing Peter Geoghegan's postmaster death patch, I noticed that
> if you turn on silent_mode, the LINUX_OOM_ADJ code in fork_process()
> runs when postmaster forks itself into background. That re-enables the
> OOM killer in postmaster, if you've disabled it in the startup script by
> adjusting /proc/self/oom_adj. That seems like a bug, albeit a pretty
> minor one.
>
> This may be a dumb question, but what is the purpose of silent_mode?
> Can't you just use nohup?

I think silent_mode is an artifact from when our daemon handling in
general was a lot more primitive (I bet there wasn't even pg_ctl then).
Maybe we could discuss removing it altogether.

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com>