Excerpts from Andrew Dunstan's message of mié jun 29 11:21:12 -0400 2011:

> I was just reading the docs on default privileges, and they say this:
>
>     Depending on the type of object, the initial default privileges
>     might include granting some privileges to PUBLIC. The default is no
>     public access for tables, columns, schemas, and tablespaces; CONNECT
>     privilege and TEMP table creation privilege for databases; EXECUTE
>     privilege for functions; and USAGE privilege for languages. The
>     object owner can of course revoke these privileges.
>

> I had to read it several times before I understood it properly, so I'm
> not terribly happy with it. I'm thinking of revising it slightly like this:
>
>     Depending on the type of object, the initial default privileges
>     might include granting some privileges to PUBLIC, including CONNECT
>     privilege and TEMP table creation privilege for databases, EXECUTE
>     privilege for functions, and USAGE privilege for languages. For
>     tables, columns, schemas and tablespaces the default is no public
>     access. The object owner can of course revoke any default PUBLIC
>     privileges.

Some types of objects [have/include/grant] no privileges to PUBLIC by
default.  These are tables, columns, schemas and tablespaces.  For other
types, the default privileges granted to PUBLIC are as follows: CONNECT
privilege and TEMP table creation privilege for databases; EXECUTE
privilege for functions; and USAGE privilege for languages.  The object
owner can, of course, revoke [these/any default] privileges.

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com>