Tatsuo Ishii <is...@postgresql.org> wrote:

>> The obvious concern would be "drift".  As README files are
>> patched, someone would need to stay on top of the translation
>> process. Any ideas on how that could be reasonably managed?
>
> My idea is defining "maintainer" for each README. Of course I am
> ready for Japanese one.

That would only cover part of the problem, and not on a permanent
basis.

How do you notice that a README has changed?

How does the community know when the changes have been completely
incorporated into the translation?

What do we do if we have README translations which haven't been
updated when it's time to tag a release?  Delete them?  Leave old,
misleading content?

What if you move on to something else and are no longer active in
the project?

I think this needs a well-defined and sustainable *process*, not
just a set of volunteers.  I'm skeptical that a workable process can
be devised, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Now, if someone wanted to set up a web site or Wiki page with
translations, that would be up to them.  I doubt anyone would object
to a link from the Developer FAQ to such a page.  It seems to me
that this would provide most of the same benefit, without much in
the way of a down side.  It might be wise to go so far as to put a
"last modified" date in each README (which would be copied without
change into each translation which brought things up to date), so
that it would be easy for someone looking at translation to
determine whether it was current.

-Kevin