From the docs:

Note that unlike most catalogs with a "namespace" column, extnamespace
is not meant to imply that the extension belongs to that schema.
Extension names are never schema-qualified. Rather, extnamespace
indicates the schema that contains most or all of the extension's
objects. If extrelocatable is true, then this schema must in fact
contain all schema-qualifiable objects belonging to the extension.

However, if you look at the source, the function
AlterExtensionNamespace(List *names, const char *newschema) has this
line:

/* Now adjust pg_extension.extnamespace */
extForm->extnamespace = nspOid;

So clearly the catalog column ought to have been updated. I can't
recreate the problem here, and I too am working from git head on the
master branch.