Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié jul 06 14:02:13 -0400 2011:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié jul 06 12:40:39 -0400 2011:
> >
> >> This patch removes an impressive amount of boilerplate code and
> >> replaces it with something much more compact.   I like that.  In the
> >> interest of full disclosure, I suggested this approach to KaiGai at
> >> PGCon, so I'm biased: but even so, I'm pleasantly surprised by the
> >> amount of consolidation that appears possible here.
> >
> > Yeah.  Myself, I love the fact that the dropmsgstrings thing is gone.  I
> > wonder if the routine to obtain "foo doesn't exist, skipping" messages
> > could be replaced by judicious use of getObjectDescription.
>
> I've been told we don't want to go further in that direction for
> reasons of translatability.

Well, you can split sentences using a colon instead of building them;
something like
        errmsg("object cannot be found, skipping: %s",
getObjectDescription(object))
which renders as
        object cannot be found, skipping: table foobar

Now people can complain that these messages are "worse" than the
originals which were more specific in nature, but I don't personally see
a problem with that.  I dunno what's the general opinion though.

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com>