Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
> What does the standard say?

Well, there is not a statement in so many words that you have to have a
relevant USER MAPPING to use a foreign table.  But the spec does specify
that an FDW's ConnectServer function takes a UserHandle as one input
parameter and should throw an exception if that handle isn't valid.
And as far as I can tell a UserHandle can only be created from a
relevant USER MAPPING entry.  So I think the behavior I'm arguing for
would emerge from an FDW that was built using the spec-defined API.
We only have an opportunity to argue about it because we chose to
invent our own FDW API.