Florian Pflug <f...@phlo.org> writes:
> A variant of this would be to allow extensions (in the CREATE EXTENSION
> sense) to declare custom GUCs in their control file. Then we'd only
> need to load those files, which seems better than loading a shared
> library.

The original patch for the extensions had that feature.  It had to be
removed, though.  The control file value has to be stored in the
catalogs and now only backends can look that up once connected to a
database.  This part worked well.

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql-extension.git;a=commit;h=480fa10f4ec7b495cf4f434e6f44a50b94487326

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql-extension.git;a=commit;h=98d802aa1ee12c77c5270c7bc9ed7479360f35b9

IIRC the problem is that now, the postmaster is not seeing cvc at all,
and you can have there some custom parameters to set shared memory
segments, which only postmaster will take care of.  An example of that
is the pg_stat_statements contrib.

I would love that we find a way around that, btw.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine