On 07/22/2011 05:00 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
Arguments in favor of coding from scratch:

1) Does not introduce new dependencies into postgresql-client packages.
(note how much of a problem Readline has been)

Readline has license issues, this doesn't.

2) keeps psql as lightweight as possible

Agreed on that one.

3) We don't need to be able to parse any potential URI, just the ones we
accept.

True.

Arguments against:

a) waste of time coding a parser

b) eventual feature creep as people ask us for more and more syntax support

Yep.

Overall, though, I'd say that argument (1) against is pretty powerful.
Count the number of complaints and build bug reports about readline&
libedit on the lists.

That is a good argument.

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579